News of the Day – 10/29/08
Posted By Diane Firstman On October 29, 2008 @ 9:43 am In Diane Firstman,News of the Day | Comments Disabled
Happy Humpday … here now the news!
- MLB.COM’s  Anthony DiComo has some big news from the mouth of Brian Cashman:
- Chien-Ming Wang got a thumbs up from the doctors after a pain-free bullpen session Monday.
- He wouldn’t comment on whether the Yanks would discipline Joba Chamberlain for his recent DUI incident.
- He isn’t counting on Mussina returning for 2009, at least at this point.
- ESPN  reports that Willie Randolph denied a report stating he was interested in a coaching job with the Nats. Randolph is being considered for the managerial position in Milwaukee. (Thanks to Baseball Musings  for the link)
- USA Today  has a piece penned by Gary Thorne detailing the issue of tax-exempt bonds being used to finance new stadiums (Mets, Yanks, Nets). It is noted that teams are getting “interest-free loans” through the issuance of tax-exempt federal bonds for construction of the stadiums and allowing them to pay them back in place of taxes. However, as of Friday, the IRS revised their regulations to prevent future deals where tax-free bonds could be used in this manner to avoid taxes.
- Over at SI.COM, Jon Heyman  has some tasty Yankee tidbits:
- If you believe Jimmy Rollins (a good friend of C.C. Sabathia), the Yankees will end up the winner of the Sabathia Sweepstakes.
- Matt Holliday intrigues the Yanks, but they are wary of his home/road splits.
- One of the reasons Brian Cashman stayed with the Bombers was because Pat Gillick warned him to avoid the Mariners opening at all costs.
- Happy 33rd birthday to former Yankee (and Banter punchline) Karim Garcia . Also, a happy 49th b-day to the cannon-armed (and once traded for Banter fave Al Leiter) Jesse Barfield .
Article printed from Bronx Banter: http://www.bronxbanterblog.com
URL to article: http://www.bronxbanterblog.com/2008/10/29/news-of-the-day-102908/
URLs in this post:
 MLB.COM’s: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081028&content_id=3651961&vkey=ps2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb
 ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3667457&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines
 Baseball Musings: http://www.baseballmusings.com/
 USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/columnist/thorne/2008-10-28-thorn-bonds-new-york-stadiums_N.htm
 Jon Heyman: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_heyman/10/28/scoop.sabathia/
 Karim Garcia: http://www.baseball-reference.com/g/garcika01.shtml
 Jesse Barfield: http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/barfije01.shtml
Click here to print.