News of the Day – 11/1/08
Posted By Diane Firstman On November 1, 2008 @ 8:54 am In Diane Firstman,News of the Day | Comments Disabled
Here’s some stuff to chew on now that you’ve finished gorging yourself on candy corn:
- Daily News blogger  Jesse Spector reports that even though Bobby Abreu filed for free agency, his first choice is to come back to the Yankees.
- SI.COM  mentions that Double-A RHP Eric Hacker and Class-A LHP Wilkin De La Rosa had their contracts purchased by the club Friday.
- Joe Ricciuti, President of the Staten Island Yankees, has been named Executive of the Year by Ballpark Digest . They noted that during his tenure he’s increased attendance via mini-plans, promotions and restructured sponsorships. Staten Island’s season-ticket accounts jumped from 350 in 2006 to 1,731 in 2008, leading to an 83 percent attendance rise, a 21 percent increase in attendance revenue in 2007 and 40 percent attendance revenue increase in 2008.
- MLB.COM  has an article on Brett Gardner’s fight for the starting CF job in 2009.
- Yahoo Sports  notes that BetOnline.com already has odds posted for the 2009 World Series. The Yankees and Phillies are each listed at 6-1, behind the BoSox (3-1), Angels (5-1) and Cubs (5-1). The Rays are next at 10-1.
- On this date in 1978, Ron Guidry  was named as the unanimous choice for the A.L. Cy Young award. Gator led the league in wins (25), winning percentage (.893), shutouts (9), and ERA (1.74, in a season in which the league ERA was 3.63). His WHIP was a nasty 0.946, and he gave up only 13 dingers in 273.7 innings. Fun little trivia …. his 3 losses came against starting pitchers with the first name of Mike (Flanagan, Caldwell, Willis).
- On this date in 2001, the first major league game ever started in the month of November  ends up with D’backs closer Byung-Hyun Kim once again serving up a dramatic homer in the ninth, this time by Scott Brosius. Brosius ties the game with two out, and Alfonso Soriano knocks an RBI single in the 12th to give the Yankees a 3 – 2 victory and 3-2 Series lead over Arizona.
- Joe Torre got hired by the Dodgers exactly one year ago today.
Article printed from Bronx Banter: http://www.bronxbanterblog.com
URL to article: http://www.bronxbanterblog.com/2008/11/01/news-of-the-day-11108/
URLs in this post:
 Daily News blogger: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/touchingbase/2008/10/hot-stove-central-right-fielde.html
 SI.COM: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/wires/10/31/2010.ap.bba.yankees.moves.0152/
 Ballpark Digest: http://www.ballparkdigest.com/
 MLB.COM: http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081031&content_id=3656899&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy
 Yahoo Sports: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Red-Sox-favored-to-win-2009-World-Series?urn=mlb,118820
 Ron Guidry: http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/gl.cgi?n1=guidrro01&year=1978&t=p
 first major league game ever started in the month of November: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA200111010.shtml
Click here to print.