News of the Day – 11/8/08
Posted By Diane Firstman On November 8, 2008 @ 10:12 am In Diane Firstman,News of the Day | Comments Disabled
The GM meetings are over …. so let’s kick back and catch up on the news:
- Newsday  reports that the City Comptroller William Thompson found that the Yanks had underpaid the city by $11 million over a three-year period. The team is supposed to pay the city a percentage of all revenue from tickets, parking and cable television. The team is in the midst of paying it back.
- In the “we’ll pay you to take this off our hands” department, Peter Abraham  reports that no one has contacted Brian Cashman regarding the readily-available Kei Igawa.
- The Times Jim Dwyer  takes Mayor Bloomberg to task for assisting the Yankees in the funding for the new Stadium, while slashing the City budget.
- Abraham also has some fun facts  gleaned from his attendance at the Joe Torre Safe at Home charity event Friday night:
- Girardi revealed that Mussina told him after the season that he planned to retire. He has not heard from Moose since.
- Pettitte, contrary to some reports, wants only a one-year deal and only to play for the Yankees.
- Posada and Rivera said their respective shoulder rehabs are going well and both expect to be ready for spring training. Posada said he is a catcher and has no interest in playing first base.
- Don Mattingly said he wants to manage.
- Baseball America lists the 561 minor league free agents by affiliation here . The Yanks have 18 such players, including these ones at AAA: pitchers Oneli Perez, Scott Strickland, Victor Zambrano and Eric Milton, catchers Jason Brown and Chris Stewart, 1B Ben Broussard, 2B Bernie Castro and Nick Green, SS Chris Basak and OF Matt Carson (AAA).
- Its not too early to start your holiday shopping, and the Yanks have unveiled their “new Stadium inaugural season”  logo for plastering on one’s head and body. Also, if you wanted some dirt from the old Stadium, Steiner Sports  will oblige. (Hat tip to Peter Abraham for this).
- More dirt on the dirt: the Daily News  notes that Major League Baseball presented each of the GMs with some dirt from the old Stadium as they departed the meetings in California this week. Given that many of the GMs had hoped to land big-name free agents, I’m guessing the reaction to the “gift” was more like this …
- On this date in 1951, Yogi Berra wins the first of his three A.L. MVP awards.
- On this date in 1961, Whitey Ford wins the Cy Young Award (only one given out between both leagues in those days). Ford had led the A.L. in wins (25) and innings pitched (283).
Article printed from Bronx Banter: http://www.bronxbanterblog.com
URL to article: http://www.bronxbanterblog.com/2008/11/08/news-of-the-day-11808/
URLs in this post:
 Newsday: http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newyork/ny-bc-ny--yankees-backrent1107nov07,0,2246790.story
 Peter Abraham: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2008/11/06/what-about-igawa/
 Times Jim Dwyer: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/08/nyregion/08about.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss
 fun facts: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2008/11/07/girardi-moose-wants-to-retire/
 here: http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=1786
 new Stadium inaugural season”: http://shop.mlb.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=3371802&cp=3371802
 Steiner Sports: http://www.steinersports.com/ssm/control/category/%7Epcategory=1001/%7EbrowseCats=13960
 Daily News: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2008/11/06/2008-11-06_omar_minaya_closing_in_on_closers.html
Click here to print.