All is quiet … on New Year’s Day (even the news):
- Are Mets Lowe-balling Derek?: Reports from the Times are that the Citi Fielders offered FA Derek Lowe a three-year, $36 million deal.
- Which non-Yankees team will blink first and sign the next free agent?: ESPN.com’s Buster Olney reports that free agent spending by teams other than the Bombers has decreased by $244 million from this same point last year.
- Fun fact: CC Sabathia tied for the lead in shutouts in each league in 2008. More fun facts included in Jayson Stark’s annual compilation of the wild and wacky.
- If you are interested in hearing Frank Deford talk about the same stuff he wrote about the Yankees yesterday (calling them the “Antoinettes”), go to NPR.com.
- Yankees Minor League Transactions during the past week (Baseball America)
- On this date in 2006, Paul Lindblad passed away at the age of 64. Lindblad, noted for his solid years in the A’s bullpen during the 70s, finished his career as a late-season addition to the Yanks playoff run in 1978.
I wish you all a happy and healthy New Year. I’ll be back on Saturday.