Today’s news is powered by a “What’s My Line” appearance by Bobby Murcer (from 1971) …..
- MLB.com has an article on Hughes and Kennedy looking to redeem themselves in 2009.
- Fan favorite Jim Kaat now has his own website, kittykaat.com. Also, Kaat will also return to the broadcast booth this season, calling a few games for the MLB Network.
- The Yanks have now reached contract agreements with all their non-arbitration players. Joba Chamberlain will earn $432,575 if, as expected, he spends the entire season with the big club.
- PeteAbe gives us the salary list for those non-arbitration players.
- Mariano Duncan turns 46 today. Duncan was a godsend at 2B for the Yankees in 1996, hitting .340 in 400 ABs. He never learned how to take a walk, earning a mere nine free passes in 417 PAs that season (.352 OBP). For his career, he walked a little more than once every 25 PAs.
- Happy 50th birthday to Luis Aguayo (spot starter at 3B for ’88 squad).
- On this date in 1937, Lou Gehrig signs for $38,000 with a $750 signing bonus.
- On this date last year, 59-year-old Billy Crystal makes an appearance in a Yankees spring training game. He strikes out on a full count from Paul Maholm after hitting one ball just foul.