Today’s update is powered by Fats Domino (congrats to the Saints on their first Super Bowl appearance):
- A-Rod gets emotional, in a good way:
Alex Rodriguez looked at the award he just received from Babe Ruth’s granddaughter with big eyes and a broad grin. It was as if he almost couldn’t believe it was his. “Postseason MVP. Wow,” Rodriguez said Saturday night. Pausing for effect he added, “What’s next, the good guy award?”
. . . And after he told fans at the dinner that “he’d stick to the script of 2009 and keep it very, very brief,” he choked up, taking a long pause — save for a nervous laugh — to look down at the podium and smile awkwardly.
- Does the GM have a deadline for a deal with Damon?
- Bill Madden blames Johnny’s faith in Scott Boras for Damon’s dilemma.
- Dale Mohorcic (reliever for ’88 and ’89 squads) turns 54 today.
- Happy 92nd birthday to the legendary Ernie Harwell.
Back on Thursday.