This update is powered by . . . a trailer for every Academy Award-winning movie ever:
- The ever-quotable Goose Gossage:
Q. You were a starter and reliever before you settled on closing games. What roles do you think Joba Chamberlain and Phil Hughes should have on the Yankees staff?
A. I think Phil Hughes is a starter for sure. He can go deep into games. He’s a power pitcher and he also knows how to pitch, with a nice curveball. He’s got a good head on his shoulders. Personally, I think Joba is a relief pitcher. He’s got that makeup, that aggressiveness. I think that he is more valuable in the bullpen. I think that he would be a great relief pitcher.
Q. Do you think Mariano Rivera is the best closer in baseball history?
A. I think that he is a tremendous relief pitcher. He’s the best current-day, modern reliever. But it’s just like you can’t compare the 500-home-run club today to the old 500-home-run club. When I was inducted into the Hall of Fame, I was told that I had 53 saves with seven-plus outs. I was told that Mariano had one and Trevor Hoffman had two. So I think that says it in a nutshell.
- The story of a one-time Yankee and Rule 5 veteran, Zack Kroenke.
- Lance McCullers (reliever on ’89 and ’90 squads) turns 46 today.
- Mark Salas (p/t catcher on ’87 team) turns 49 today.
- The immortal Jim Bouton turns 71 today.
- Joe DiMaggio died 11 years ago today.
Back on Thursday.