"A New York Treasure" --Village Voice

Nuts to You

Or: “Wake Us Up Before You Go-Go”

It’s a hearty time to be a Yankee fan. The team is young and one of the better teams in the game. But holy cow, has this ever been a depressing off-season for the sport. Baseball and the people that run it will never cease to get in their own way—can you imagine marquee stars like Kevin Durant or Kyrie Irving languishing like Bryce Harper and Manny Machado have this winter? Hell, in the NBA teams are getting slapped with fines for tampering guys six months before they hit the open market.

Man, it just makes you shake your head.

Spoke to a guy who runs one of the big sports media companies recently and asked him what the most popular American sports are now in terms of their coverage and he said, “NFL, NBA, college football, soccer, baseball.” Said soccer and baseball are pretty close—and not American soccer but worldwide soccer. I’ve been working with Esquire for the past 3 years and I can tell you from a general magazine like that baseball is squaresville these days. I couldn’t imagine one ballplayer who they would profile.

And that’s fine, I suppose, I’ll still watch the games this year, I’m still excited about this Yankee team, but there is a gloom hanging over the sport that just won’t go away.

Picture by Bags

Share: Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share via email %PRINT_TEXT

8 comments

1 GaryfromChevyChase   ~  Feb 12, 2019 4:35 pm

I kinda like lots of the proposed rule changes to speed up the game, except for the 3-batter rule. I'd let them start with a guy on 2nd in the 12th. I'd also like to see the roster go up to 26, the NL to get the DH, and limit the number of pitchers - maybe 9 or 10.

And sign Machado!

2 Greg G   ~  Feb 12, 2019 5:40 pm

Perhaps the Yanks read the tea leaves for potentially huge contracts this year and went with Stanton, because they didn't have to outbid anyone?

Maybe huge contracts will become a thing of the past.

Not having the usual big money teams bidding up the price of Machado and Harper has really put the brakes on this offseason.

Boras's slow or deliberate (if you will) timeline, may be hurting his other clients that he represents, since everyone is waiting to see where the big 2 land, before filling out their teams. That might make these guys looking for a dance partner, so late in the year, go with a lesser contract.

To your point, with so few actual suitors and such a long delay for the top guys to sign, there is no positive news. The owners are sitting on a boatload of $, but perhaps contracts of $300 and $400 mil are no longer practical? That made for juicy headlines and then there was coverage of the teams that were bridesmaids picking up the next level guys. The Yanks struck quickly and may be done. Red Sox already have a ring and not many needs. Cubs and Dodgers already have huge payrolls. The White Sox and Phillies want to spend, but not sure anyone really wants to go there.

On a side note, it is nice to see Georgie PoPo back working with Jetes in Florida. That hardass might be giving the young guys a good swift kick in the ass. Now they need to sign El Duque so Jorge and he can come to blows in the dugout.

Let's go Yang-keys.

3 Boatzilla   ~  Feb 14, 2019 9:52 am

[0] I can't get over that photo, Alex. Who sells coconuts in NYC? What year is that? Weird.

Suddenly, I'm hankering for a Gray's Papaya hot dog. Lots of kraut and mustard.

4 Chyll Will   ~  Feb 14, 2019 10:41 pm

Maybe MLB should ask Adam Silver to be commissioner, tee hee...

5 GaryfromChevyChase   ~  Feb 15, 2019 12:06 pm

+RAB reporting that Sevi's been signed to a 4 year extension, with a 5th year option. Good work, Cash!

6 Hank Waddles   ~  Feb 15, 2019 4:16 pm

[5] Yes, I like that signing of Severino. Now that the pitch-tipping has been discovered, and will likely be monitored throughout the season, I'm sure he'll back to the dominance we saw from him in the first half.
[0] To Alex's point about the NBA, that's a great comparison. Not only is tampering a huge concern in that league, the marquee free agents almost always sign with days of the opening of free agency. The NBA just does everything right, probably because everyone involves realizes the players are the kings of the game. It's the only sport without an off-season, because things are just as interesting in July and August as they are right now. Baseball will always be my greatest love, but the NBA just does a better job with pretty much everything related to publicity.

7 rbj   ~  Feb 15, 2019 6:20 pm

Good news on Sevy.
I am expecting a work stoppage of some kind when the CBA expires. Can’t imagine no one has space for Harper or Machado.

And baseball this weekend, starting tonight on MLBN at 7. Yeah, it’s college, but actual games.

8 Chyll Will   ~  Feb 16, 2019 9:28 am

[6] Except for the Knicks >;) and this year's edition of the Pelicans. The Lakers seemed to have traded one marquee issue for another, though if I'm them I'd much rather have a LeBron problem than a LaVar Ball problem. The only thing the NBA has to worry about in the long run is competitive balance and the Knicks not becoming like the DS-owned Clippers.