Today’s news is powered by Star Trek . . . AND Monty Python!:
- Tino Martinez greeted Stadium ferrygoers.
- Any way you slice it, the Yanks played in front of fewer fans this season.
- A $5 obstructed view seat for the playoffs is going for nearly $100.
- Steven Goldman details his evening in the Legends seats.
- Andre Robertson turns 52 today. Robertson was a part-time SS for the Yanks from ’81-’85, but he neither hit nor fielded well enough to warrant a full-time gig. A serious auto accident in August ’83 (in which Robertson broke his neck) derailed whatever career he had. Traded to the Braves in ’86, he never played in another big league game.
- On this date in 1978, Bucky Dent’s unlikely home run helps the Yankees defeat the Red Sox in a dramatic one-game playoff at Fenway Park. Trailing by two runs in the seventh inning, Dent smacks a three-run shot against pitcher Mike Torrez into the screen above the Green Monster. The Yankees hold on for a 5 – 4 victory en route to face the Royals in the ALCS and the Dodgers in the World Series.
See you Monday.