"A New York Treasure" --Village Voice

Taster’s Cherce

In case you haven’t heard, salt is bad. Harumph. Still, Heinz is changing their ketchup recipe to include less salt

Will that mean less flavor? We’ll find out this summer.

[Photo Credit: Bright Lights Dim Beauty of Chicago]

Categories:  Bronx Banter  Taster's Cherce

Share: Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share via email %PRINT_TEXT


1 knuckles   ~  May 14, 2010 12:28 pm

They should just leave it alone.
We use the salt-free Heinz ketchup and it’s good on home cooked food like burgers made with seasoning mixed in, or duck fat roasted fries, etc. But straight up Heinz ketchup is one of the more perfect condiments out there and should be left as is. I smell a new Coke style reversal coming…

2 Diane Firstman   ~  May 14, 2010 12:31 pm

there's something strangely wonderful about that photo .... the colors, the reflections in the bottles ...

3 RagingTartabull   ~  May 14, 2010 1:22 pm

Heinz always amazes me because its like Coke...it is EVERYWHERE. Every restaurant on the planet, it seems like, has Heinz. In 2004 John Kerry was told by his people to downplay how mind bogglingly wealthy his wife was because she had married Jack Heinz, I can't even wrap my head around that.

4 Diane Firstman   ~  May 14, 2010 1:23 pm


I guess Hunt's Ketchup is 2nd-best selling worldwide?

5 RagingTartabull   ~  May 14, 2010 1:33 pm

[4] Hunt's is owned by ConAgra (aka one of the most terrifying corporations on Earth) so I'm not sure. Only because ConAgra owns like 70% of the processed food in everyone's kitchen...the other 30% being owned by Philip Morris.

6 Shaun P.   ~  May 14, 2010 1:57 pm

The salt I can live with. The high fructose corn syrup is another matter. I much prefer their organic ketchup for exactly that reason - and [1] knuckes to me, the organic version it tastes better.

feed Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share via email
"This ain't football. We do this every day."
--Earl Weaver