Ugh. I’ve purposely avoided Yankee ball (or at least bantering about it) for the last couple of months as I’ve found myself doing a lot more griping and complaining than enjoying, and I can’t imagine anyone around here would care to read what they’ve already written in comments during that same time period, so I will not add more dung to the pile…
Oh, whom am I kidding? Regardless of how the Yanks do the rest of the way, changes are needed and likely imminent. The starting rotation needs an overhaul, the infield needs mending and reconfiguring and the outfield needs to be refurbished. Cashman gambled away his outfield depth and the remains of the day immediately went kablooey, so now he has to figure out what to do with whom not only in the post-season, but beyond. Here are a list of possible bullet-points for him to hash out…
- Does Gardner stay a little longer than expected? (like to 2050 perhaps?)
- Will Clint Frazier ever get a full season to show his worth without having to deal with his bully, the outfield wall?
- Is Aaron Judge rushing back to save the lineup really a good thing?
- Is Stanton really a backup outfielder forced to play everyday at this point?
- Does McCutchen actually exist? Or is he just a story made up to scare impending free agents?
- Is it a sin to not hit a homer in every at-bat? Do you get sent to baseball purgatory for bunting against the shift or hitting for the cycle?
- Would it help if we put an extra row of seats between shortstop and third base?
- Would Ritalin improve the infield defense?
- Is Gary Sanchez really just Jesus Montero trying to sneak back into major league baseball?
- Do you think CC would look good as a pitching coach next season? Yeah? Huh?
- Would it have helped some if Tanaka had gotten that surgery he’s needed for the last two or three seasons right after the slight tear in his UCL was first noticed?
- Does saying “We don’t necessarily need Chapman” three times automatically wipe away his 5 yr/$86 mil (17+Mil per) salary?
- Did Pedro really cover all bases while he was mentoring Severino over the winter, or was that a sample since he wasn’t paid (as far as we all know)?
- Do you think Lance Lynn would do well to appear for a couple of seasons on Westworld rather than on the mound?
- Could he take Sonny Gray with him?
- What’s the over/under for J. Happ bolting the Yanks within minutes of the end of the Whirled Serious? And will that be him saying he “can’t get with Da Bronx” or Cashman and Co. low-balling him?
- What is the purpose of the Yankee coaches, really?
- Is Aaron Boone
@#$%ingcrazy? Or is he just @#$%ing right for this job?
I know, a lot to take in. You don’t have to think about it now, just enjoy the game(ssssss…). These things always have a way of working themselves out. If I’m lucky, I’ll come back with more by the end of the, er… month. >;)